Saturday, November 9, 2013

2 Weeks to the 50th Anniversary

As we tick down to the big anniversary special, we revisit the 20th anniversary special The Five Doctors. This is the special that I remember the most and the best. As a young fan, it was the most amazing thing to see all of these Doctors running around together. I wasn't as familiar with 1st and 2nd Doctors, I don't think I was event cognizant of the recast of the 1st Doctor with Richard Hundrell. I'm not sure if I was aware that Tom Baker wasn't actually in it and that they used "lost" footage from Shada. So to the innocent 10 year old I was then, it was magic. In the ensuing 30 year years, I've learned of all the secrets behind the magic, seen the story on VHS, DVD and then a special DVD edition with more footage. It was a beautiful moment in time that celebrated the height of the first generation of Doctor Who. While we've seen that the multi-Doctor stories can be quite the poison chalice for any story teller, this set the bar for an amazing celebration. 





No comments:

Post a Comment