Friday, February 8, 2013

25. The Gunfighters

I don't like The Gunfighters. There, I said it. I wouldn't say I hate this story but out of 50 years of Doctor Who stories, this is my least favorite episode. I've never been a fan of Westerns, which I'm not sure if it's because of this story or not (see- the chicken and the egg paradox).

It was one of the last VHS tapes to be released and after many years of not seeing it, I still didn't like it. Then most recently it was released on DVD and I hoped that with it being remastered and with rose colored nostalgia glasses, I might like it more. Well, I don't.

Don't get me wrong. I cherish it as a surviving piece of film with William Hartnell and showcases the talents of Peter Purves and Jackie Lane as Steven and Dodo, respectively. It's an amusing story and a bit farcical. It's just the setting that I just don't like. This story could be any place else and any when else, and I'd probably love it 100% more. It's similar to my aversion to True Blood.

When I heard there was a Western in the latest season of Doctor Who with Matt Smith, I shuddered. I started having bad flashback to this story and my fear of the new episode becoming akin to it. Thankfully it wasn't that bad and it's not at the bottom of my list although I don't frequently rewatch it like the other episodes.

With only one complete and one partial story left with the 1st Doctor, I will force myself to enjoy this precious screen time from the amazing era of Doctor Who.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gunfighters

Next exciting episode: The Savages!






No comments:

Post a Comment