Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fixed Points and Impossible Things

Memories are funny things. They're not fixed points in our minds. Memories can change, evolve, diminish, extrapolate and be deleted. How you remember something from a day ago can be completely different in 10 years. And if you remember something you forgot, is it truly the same memory or an amalgamation of remnants repackaged?

I clearly remember Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen as my first Doctor and Companion team. I have fond memories of their adventures at 6 PM weeknights on our PBS station. I would often eat my dinner on a TV tray in front of the set, as the opening theme would begin and a sense of excitement would fall over me. I seem to remember 'Seeds of Doom' as one of my earliest episodes, if not possibly the first episode, I ever watched. Ironic that it would be the one with the crazy man playing his organ (Harrison Chase- a role model to future organists and botanists alike).

Of course we could theorize that our memories are changing because history has been rewritten. Or we're remembering something from an alternate dimension. Or the future is bleeding back into the present and compressing the past into new memories. Oh the possibilities are endless!

-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment